Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Way You Speak.


As a child, you look up to the eldest that are most present in your life. You pick up on what you see and learn by the example that is led. I must give credit to my lovely Mother and Aunt Barbara for being the reason why I speak the way I speak today. Thank you. Today, 'Gonna' 'woulda' 'shoulda' 'wanna' 'gotta' 'fir' are part of the language I use. These words my Mother and Aunt by now can probably pick up on when a conversation is being held. I would like to share a quote with you. 
"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart." 
-Nelson Mandela 
The questions are, what language settled in your head? What language settled in your heart?  
If you can't guess already, the language that was taught and spoken to me went to my heart. Sometimes the language that I use in day-to-day conversations may be from the language I have learned and developed over the years of growing. On the flip side of things, I am currently learning a whole new language at Year Up. Hopefully I can catch on quickly and use it more often.

3 comments:

  1. This is a very different way of looking at language i love how you put nelson Mandela quote. Yes that is from the heart my heart reaches out to yours and is split with Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very sentimental blog. I really like how you said that speaking a language to someone that they know is heart felt versus speaking a language that they understand. A feedback that I have for you is to go more in depth with the story. I would have love to hear a little more.

    ReplyDelete